After living in a home for an extended period of time, things begin to look used and can stand a little TLC to refresh its appearance. There are some more affordable things that can be done to rejuvenate the interior and/or exterior look of your home.
A little paint works wonders. Over time, paint tends to chip, accrue scratches and holes, etc. Paint is an affordable way to spruce up the outside and inside of your home. Repainting shutters, trimming, or even the entire house will give your home more curb appeal. Inside the home, refreshing the wall paint or even trying out a new color will completely change the vibe in your home. Whether you choose a light color or a darker color is totally up to you… do a little research to see which one you like better.
Fresh and clean carpet is always a plus in the home. Although you may vacuum on a consistent basis, there’s only so much a vacuum can do! With constant traffic throughout the home, the dirt and grime build up and the color of your carpet may become slightly altered. Not to mention, spills, stains, and odors all accumulate over time. I recommend that you hire a professional to come in a give your carpet a deep cleaning. You’ll be left with fresh-smelling carpet that looks like new! It’ll definitely brighten up the place. Also, regular cleanings help your carpet last longer. As a matter of fact, if you’re in the Alabama area, I have a friend who owns a phenomenal carpet cleaning business. Visit carpetcleaningmontgomery.com to schedule your cleaning.
Continue reading “Affordable Home Improvement”
Landscaping is another way to improve and increase the value of your home. Research shows that people are more likely to buy a home with good landscaping than one with poor landscaping. You may not be an outdoor person. If you’re not, hire someone to do it for you. If you are, then start planning some DIY projects.
There are a quite a few ways you can spruce up your yard. Remember that your yard is one of the first things that people see when visiting or driving past your home. Therefore, a well-kept lawn gives your home curb appeal. One of the best ways to keep your grass thick and green is by watering it. Landscapers recommend that you water your grass when their is no rain in the forecast. In that case, 1-2 times per week is good, but don’t exceed 1/2 inch of water each time. If you don’t have time to water your grass, invest in an irrigation system. They can be relatively pricey at about $3000, but it will be an added feature for future home buyers and they will love it. Also, be sure to keep your grass cut and well groomed.
Plants and trees are another way to enhance your yard. Flower beds are relatively easy to create and choosing low-care flowers minimizes the upkeep as well. Some examples of low-maintenance flowers include shrubs and perennials. You can also add pine straw, mulch, or rocks to support your flowers and enhance your flower bed. Also, studies show that hedges increase property value by about 3.5 percent. Trees also add value and also appreciate over time. Add a few trees in your back yard. This will add additional shading as well.
A increasingly popular feature of modern day homes is outdoor rooms. A covered patio, deck, dry laid patio or a dining area, all add value to your home. Home buyers tend to love this feature. Depending on your budget, you may also consider adding an outdoor kitchen. The cost normally ranges from $15,000 to $100,000 depending on the size and brands you choose to use. Outdoor kitchens include grills, refrigerators and sinks.
So, determine your budget and identify the best landscaping options for your home. Landscaping is a great way to add value to your home/ property. If yard work isn’t your thing, hire a landscaper to help you. Bring on the curb appeal!
Most people consider the kitchen to be one of the most important rooms of their home. They spend a good amount of time in there and desire for it to be functional but also attractive at the same time. Remodeling your kitchen is also a good way to spruce up and add value to your home. Also, it is a great selling point for buyers. Here are a few ways you can update and improve your kitchen.
- Repaint: A few fresh coats of paint or even a change in paint color can drastically improve the appearance of your kitchen. There are several new modern colors available. Find one that you absolutely love and go for it.
- Cabinet improvement: You can also change your cabinets. If you don’t desire to completely replace them or its not within your budget, you can simply paint them and/or change the handles.
- Counter tops: There are various types of counter tops available, including granite, marble, wood, etc. And they come in various colors. Choose an option that fits in with the style of the rest of your home.
- Flooring: Whether you still have vinyl flooring or tile, replacing the flooring will definitely update the look of your kitchen. You can choose ceramic tile or even hardwood– whichever option works best for you. Hardwood flooring in the kitchen used to not be a popular preference, but it has recently become the new thing.
- Energy-Efficient Appliances: Its always good to replace old appliances with new and improved, energy-efficient appliances. These appliances (Energy Star) help to lessen energy use and thus saves you money in the future.
The costs associated with remodeling a kitchen can vary depending on what needs to be done. Remember, it doesn’t all have to be done at once if it doesn’t fit in your budget. Determine what’s most important to you and get it done at your own pace.
Do you live in an older home? If so, when was the last time you updated your windows? Unless your house was built with in the past few years, it probably doesn’t have energy efficient windows. These windows have become a common feature in newer homes. An energy efficient window provides more insulation that the older single pane windows. Therefore, they provide several benefits.
- Improved Comfort. During the winter , regular windows are very cold and poorly insulated and often give off cold drafts. However, energy efficient windows have warmer surface and reduced cold air leakage as a result of improved weather stripping. During the summer, the low-E coating protects the surfaces from extensive sunlight and therefore prevents over heating. Therefore, your home won’t be as hot.
- Reduced costs for heating and cooling. If you live in an extremely warm region, you know that the power bill can get a bit pricey in the summer time. Similarly, if you live in a colder region, the costs of gas or electricity to heat the home can become expensive. However, energy efficient windows allow you to use less energy for heating and cooling as a result of the increased insulation. As a matter of fact, experts say that your can save up to $500 per year on your cooling and heating costs.
- Less frosting. One of the biggest issues seen with older windows is the build up of condensation during heating. This is caused by poor insulation. With highly insulated windows, you are able to minimize condensation as well as the accompanying possibility of mold and rotting wood.
- Increases home’s ability to sell. Because more buyers are aware of this improved feature, they are looking for homes contain these windows. If you are looking to sell your home soon, you may consider replacing your single-pane windows. The improvement would be a great selling point.
Continue reading “Energy Efficient Windows”
Welcome to Travis Almand! Thank you for coming to visit my site. This website consists of several blog posts written by me. Most will focus on home and facility improvement. Stay tuned for some great and useful information!
To learn more about me, check out this page.
Also, if you are interested in speaking with me, use the contact information listed here.